Q. What does streakiness in X-ray of lower lung indicate?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 19, 2019

I am a 62-year-old male. I went for a routine X-ray, and the radiologist found some streakiness in the lower left lung. He said it appeared small and not significant, but it was adviced that I should come back in six months for a comparative X-ray and that it could just be a scar from an earlier infection.

I have read that a small scar area is probably non-progressive but I have also read about IPF, and that fills me with fear. Spirometry test was normal as it was a physical exam. I am so scared that it might be a progressive disease, but I hope that it is just an old scar as it is really small. Otherwise mostly healthy with no cough or difficulty breathing at all. Are all lung scars progressive?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Does not look worrisome (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Small streaks or fibrosis is usually due to old infection or collapses etc., The usual cause for such fibrosis is typically an infection and commonly found at such age groups.

The probability of IPF (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis) is extremely low as the fibrosis is not diffuse or bilateral, no symptoms and spirometry are normal. So, I think it is not worrisome at present and should follow up as advised to be sure. Should consult your doctor earlier if developed any symptoms. Majority of the scar is non-progressive and extremely common to find such scars on routine X-ray and the majority are benign.

I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

I am feeling better after it. I just wanted to ask if my pictures of the X-rays were sufficient to assist with the opinion. If not I can try to take more and send again. I have been unable to sleep since this X-ray, and I hope it is nothing. I gave up smoking five years ago and I feel better so I hope it is not due to that.

I have not had a chest X-ray for years so there is nothing to compare it too from the past. Please let me know if you need some better images. So does this mean I can stop worrying?

#

Some part of the left lower zone is missing, but it is enough to comment as the interpretation is also attached. Importantly, the shadow is streaky but not a reticulated or in a pattern of alveolar fibrosis, so in all probabilities, it is not IPF or anything serious. So, in the majority of patients with such fibrosis, it is benign and not worrisome. So, you should stop worrying and have followed up on a scheduled date to be sure.

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A chest x-ray is a routine part of any pre-employment checkup. Your query regarding reporting of x-ray as bilateral inhomogeneous opacities suggests old or active infection most probably tuberculosis. So, it is advisable to do sputum AFB test (acid-fast bacilli) to rul...  Read Full

Do my X-rays show the beginnings of asthma or COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday in the emergency room. Felt very weak and difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. Today very breathless when talking. Do these X-...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abaranam
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These X-rays show dilatation of your airways (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From X-ray, we cannot confirm the diagnosis. To differentiate asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you need to do a spirometry testing. That will confirm th...  Read Full

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your x-ray reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There appears to be a mild prominence of the bronchovascular markings in both the lungs, more so in the lower lobes. This is not a serious problem and sometimes can occur without any acc...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now