Q. What does streakiness in X-ray of lower lung indicate?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Chest X- Ray or Spirometry Test? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 62-year-old male. I went for a routine X-ray, and the radiologist found some streakiness in the lower left lung. He said it appeared small and not significant, but it was adviced that I should come back in six months for a comparative X-ray and that it could just be a scar from an earlier infection.

I have read that a small scar area is probably non-progressive but I have also read about IPF, and that fills me with fear. Spirometry test was normal as it was a physical exam. I am so scared that it might be a progressive disease, but I hope that it is just an old scar as it is really small. Otherwise mostly healthy with no cough or difficulty breathing at all. Are all lung scars progressive?