Q. What are the risks associated with chickenpox during pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

My wife is 7 months pregnant. We found red rashes on her body two days back. Today, two of them found as blisters. We met the doctor and she said it as chickenpox. Can you advise the precautions we need to take? Also, what are the risks associated with this? She is currently on Amoxicillin and Potassium clavulanate 625 twice daily.

#

The chances are good that your baby would be fine.

If you get chickenpox during the first or second trimester, then there is a slight risk (less than 2 percent) that your baby could get congenital varicella syndrome. The risk is highest if you are infected between weeks 13 and 20.

You can be given an antiviral drug called Acyclovir within 24 hours of the chickenpox rash appearing. This will reduce fever and symptoms.

Acyclovir is only recommended when you are more than 20 weeks pregnant. There is no medication during pregnancy is without its risks, and these will be discussed with you by your obstetrician.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|