Q. Why did I get chickenpox for the second time?

Dr.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 18 years old and I am suffering with chickenpox. I got this in the past too. How to get rid of it?

#

We normally do not get chickenpox on more than one occasion. This is because, we develop a strong immune response to the virus and our body fights it before the infection takes hold.

However, of course it is possible. If you did not develop a strong initial immune response or if there is an abnormality with your immune system then it can develop multiple times.

The virus can also remain dormant within your nerve cells and trigger again in the form of shingles later in life.

Chickenpox needs to run its course. It remains incredibly contagious for the initial 10 to 21 days and whilst the vesicles (lumps and bumps) are weeping and oozing.

The vesicles only appear quite some time after initial infection of chickenpox. As a result, by the time the vesicles have scabbed over and are dry, they no longer pose a risk of cross infection to other people.

• How has your general health been? Are you prone to recurrent infections or flu-type symptoms? Do you often feel run down or generally unwell?
  • If this is the case, then you should visit your family doctor to ensure that your immune system is satisfactorily healthy, given that you have had a second bout of chickenpox.
  • You have to allow it to get better by itself with regular Paracetamol if needed.

Full blood count.

For further information consult a family physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|