Q. My grandfather is throwing up with cold, chills and coughing up phlegm. What should we do?

Published on Nov 09, 2019

My grandfather is 92 years old. He had been throwing up with cold chills, hot flashes, coughing up lots of phlegm, sore throat, back, and stomach pain. But there is no fever. What should we do? What could it be?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

After going through your query I must admit that the first possibility is of pneumonia or lower respiratory tract infection. As he is having all signs of pneumonia other than fever. It should be ruled out with a chest x-ray and complete blood count. With the advancement of age, it is common for a person to present without fever or even hypothermia in case of chest infection.

The other possibility in your grandfather is of abscess in an abdominal cavity particularly sub phrenic area. It can be detected with the help of abdominal ultrasound and complete blood count. In case if there is associated urinary frequency, urgency or burning of micturation present with all these symptoms then the urinary tract infection should be ruled out.

I request you to get the following details from a nearby laboratory.

1. Complete blood count.

2. Urine microscopy and culture with sensitivity.

3. Chest x-ray.

4. Blood widal.

At the same time, you are requested to visit your primary care physician as soon as possible. The presence of infection at this age may have grave consequences including acute confusional state and death. Before you can get an appointment with him, give him anti-emetics, antipyretics and lots of fluid.

| 

Does Montek LC treat a dry cough?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter is 3 years old. She is having a dry cough since four days. My doctor prescribed Asthalin and Levolin along with Montek LC. Will these help in settling the cough?  Read Full »

Kindly suggest treatment for persistent dry cough.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a dry cough for more than one week. I tried all the medicines, but still, I have heavy cough. Is there any other way to reduce it?  Read Full »

Are night sweats and chills symptoms of PMS?

Query: Hello doctor, My period typically lasts for 6-7 days and comes on time according to my period calculation for the past two years. It starts out with two to three days of somewhat heavy period then the rest of it is light spotting with no pain throughout the entire period. Maybe the first day might h...  Read Full »