Q. I am positive for chlamydia and having vaginal itch and smelly discharge. What to do?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N
Published on Dec 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 09, 2019

During this past summer, I have had one sex partner. Also during this summer, I was told by my doctor that I tested positive for Chlamydia. A day after my doctor's visit, I noticed that on the left part of my upper lip, there seems to be like a rise in the skin. There are no bumps, no burning, or no itching. I have become very stressed about this because as I examined the lips of others, that part of my lip was starting to look strange compared to others.

My partner and I both got our treatment for Chlamydia and waited seven days before having sex again. Now I am experiencing a couple of things that I was not before. My partner is not experiencing anything. I noticed that I was experiencing some itching in my vaginal area (at the top where hair grows). It is not a cluster of bumps, but it is white and very noticeable to the naked eye. I am thinking that it is just public lice but not so sure. Next, I have noticed that I have what feels like two cuts (one on each side) near the bottom of my vaginal area. It does not burn or itch, it is just there. I have experienced some smelly discharge but not a lot. I have not been with anyone else except the same guy I had from the summer. Can you tell me if I might have a certain virus or infection?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

I have read your query. Chlamydial infection is the most common sexually transmitted infection worldwide. You had been advised to take antichlamydial treatment for both the partners and you have taken treatment for the same. But the abstinence period is usually two to three weeks after treatment before any sexual intercourse.

Since you are experiencing a mild amount of foul-smelling discharge which is usually present in the chlamydial infection. You are supposed to look to a doctor in your area for the treatment for the specified time and work out on the abstinence period. Viral infection like herpes usually causes painful superficial ulcers over the genital area, and so the little white bumps over your pubic area can be a mere folliculitis.

Chlamydia trachomatis.

None required.

Chlamydia trachomatis infection.

Antichlamydial treatment like Azithromycin 1 g for five days or Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for a week will do.

Sexual abstinence for a minimum period of two to three weeks after treatment is necessary.

Review two weeks after treatment.

| 

I was sexually inactive while on Chlamydia treatment and now bleeding after sex. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I tested positive for chlamydia 10 months back. The only symptom I had was bleeding in between my period that month, so I decided to go get checked out. I was prescribed two Azithromycin pills to take that day, and was told that everything would clear up in two weeks. After taking the...  Read Full »

Can Levaquin be used for gonorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, I did IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 after four months of possible exposure, which was negative. Is it conclusive? Is there any need to do IgM test? If IgG is negative, can I consider that I am not infected?  Read Full »

Why do I severe vaginal itching in the night?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few weeks, I have had severe vaginal itching. It goes on all night and sometimes during the day. I have not slept properly for the past few weeks. I have not experienced this level of itching before and for such a long time. Once this started, I used Lactacyd to alleviate the...  Read Full »