Q. How to reduce TG/HDL ratio?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 23, 2019

I got a complete medical checkup done today. My lipid profile reads total cholesterol 145 mg/dL, HDL 27.5 mg/dL, LDL 93.3 mg/dL, triglyceride 195 mg/dL and VLDL 39 mg/dL. Is this very concerning? Especially, I am concerned regarding the TG/HDL ratio. Please advice. My echo, ECG, and stress test were all normal.

#

Most of the population has low HDL (high density lipoprotein). More than 50 is a good thing which rarely people have. Triglyceride range is up to 150. Can be more if no fasting done prior test or seen in diabetics.

Overall your test is good. You do not need cholesterol medicine. Exercise can increase your HDL. So, please check your FBS (fasting blood sugar) and post prandial blood sugar too.

Thank you very much. My FBS is 82. I am concerned as the net said TG/HDL ratio more than 2 is alarming and mine was 7. What to do?

#

You can reduce triglyceride by avoiding fried items, mainly by avoiding reused oil. Only few studies say about importance of this ratio, but we concentrate mainly on LDL (low density cholesterol) and total cholesterol.

I have anxiety disorder. My lipid profile now reads TC 128, LDL 76, TG 136, and HDL 25. I am in constant fear of CVD because of low HDL. Any advise doctor?

#

You are not at risk as your cholesterol test is normal. Pleade do not worry about the HDL values. Do brisk walking every day for 30 minutes.

|