Q. Total cholesterol 229, HDL 53 and LDL 150. Do I have heart disease?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2019

Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lower my cholesterol. Thank you.

#

• Your total cholesterol target should be 150. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) should be below 100 and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in range of 50 to 60. Your blood sugar is normal.
  • Any food that contains high amount of sugar, oil and ghee are high in cholesterol. Using same oil for frying again and again is very harmful.
  • Anything you eat in excess even tea or coffee, fried snacks and bakery items are high in cholesterol.
  • You should be taking more amount of fruits, salads, etc.
  • Have food that will take care of your nutrition as well as will not add too much fat. Do exercise regularly along with diet planning. If you are obese, then reduce your weight.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

With this cholesterol level can I continue my gym exercise? My doctor gave Parthadyarishtam for heart. Do I need to take it now?

#

• Yes, you can continue with your gym. I would suggest you to carry out your electrocardiogram (EKG) and stress test. If both are normal, then there is no problem with heart.
  • High cholesterol is a predisposing condition for future heart problems.
  • High cholesterol leads to formation of fatty plaques (deposits) in blood vessel of heart and few other organs, which can lead to heart problem and other health issues later in life.
  • Right now, you can control it with strict lifestyle modifications as I have suggested.
  • Parthadyarishta is an ayurvedic heart tonic. You can take it as a supplement, but rely on lifestyle modification and exercise to reduce high cholesterol. It will do wonders.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|