Q. Please suggest treatment for granulomatous mastitis.

Dr. Arvind Guru
Published on Jun 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had an excisional biopsy of a lump just below my left breast last week. My biopsy report states that I have granulomatous mastitis. My surgeon has put me on an antibiotic called Claribid for three weeks. Please advice on the course of treatment.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

• I concur with your surgeon's advice in principle. Though to be accurate and specific, I would like to go over your biopsy report, medical records, and surgeon's notes.

Revert with more information to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

I have attached all my reports.

Dr. Arvind Guru

#

Thanks for following up with well-taken pictures of your medical records (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are a couple of things I can tell you.

• It is not cancer, and it is unlikely to increase your risk of breast cancer in future. It is a condition called periductal mastitis, that is, the inflammation of milk ducts under the areola region. In your case, it was one single duct.
  • It presented as a small solid tumor on examination of your breast, and your surgeon thought it to be a fibroadenoma and removed it. I would have gone for aspiration of the cystic swelling and culture of contents to look for any infection. However, the confusion arose because of the recent ultrasound, which suggested solid lesions because of partial healing over last six months.
  • Your doctor mistook it to be fibroadenomas and removed one of them. It might be easier for me to see through this and comment in hindsight, than your doctor who was confronted with two contradictory reports.
  • This type of inflammation of the milk duct may or may not have associated infection of the duct. Needle aspiration of the cystic swelling would have given this opportunity to test for and treat infection without surgery. But since that lesion has been taken out, hope the area is clear of infection and this disease does not recur.
  • If any infection is present, then appropriate antibiotics taken three times a day for two to three weeks can help. The success rate of this trial is around 50 %. The drug prescribed by your doctor is Claribid (Clarithromycin 500 mg), one tablet daily, once a day after meals for three weeks. This, in my opinion, is inappropriate dose and frequency of this particular antibiotic medication.
  • Firstly, it is not a first line recommended medication for this problem, and secondly, it should be taken three times a day. Do confirm with him as to why it has been given in this particular dose. Lastly, as it has already been two weeks of antibiotics, I think now it is time just to stop everything by a week or so.
  • Periductal mastitis can actually be a difficult condition to treat in some cases where there is repeated infection of other milk ducts. Such situations will need surgery to take out all the milk ducts from underneath the nipple. 

So, talk to your doctor regarding the medication. I hope you shall do fine. Hope this helps you understand what happened and what to do now. Feel free to get back with a picture of surgery site and any new records.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

I have a benign multinodular goiter. Is there a need for thyroidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with multinodular goiter and have done FNAC, which turned to be benign. Is there any other way to get rid of the enlargement of the goiter and the nodules? My thyroid is full of them ranging from 0.5 to 0.9 mm. What should I do? I feel lost, and I have a con...  Read Full »

I have a fleshy growth over the stitches of appendicectomy. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, Four years ago, I had an appendicitis surgery. There is a flesh like growth where the stitches are placed. What should I do now? How to get it removed?  Read Full »

I have a breast lump. Is there a possibility that it might be cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a lump in between my breasts. I have had it for a couple of years. Yesterday, I noticed that it got slightly bigger. Also, it became painful and red. Is there a possibility that it might be cancerous? I do not have any family history of breast cancer.  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now