Q. Does prolonged cough indicate cancer?

Published on Jan 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 17, 2020

I have a query and need your guidance and help. I am 26 years old, male. As winters are very cold in my area, I cought cold as I was riding my bike with no proper protection from winter. I started coughing that night but I did not care it how ever increased I ate curd and smoked cigarette. This made my cough worse. So I took medication for it and my cough was gone in three days but not totally. I started coughing thrice a day. But as due to my business I had to travel. I have not taken proper rest and given up smoking. I smoked for 5 years (3rd and 4th, 5th year i smoked 5 cigarettes a day.) Average. Now I have given up totally. My weight is stable. I feel hungry a lot. Never smoked weed or reverse smoked. I am non-alcoholic. No shortness of breath. Only cough is my issue and its dry and no mucus.

My cough is increased from day before yesterday as I was in AC couch of train and every single person near me was coughing very badly. So I am taking Montec LC twice a day and Ascoril D thrice 10 ml started from last night. And it made it worse without medicine I was coughing twice or thrice aday but now it is increased. Is it lung or throat cancer cause if I check on internet it makes me really sad and I really regret smoking. So, please help me and suggest me something. What should I do. I am in tears right now do not know what to do I just do not want to die now.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I would like to change the medicines you are on slightly. First, instead of Montek LC take Allergra M in the morning. Take it once a day only. Take Alex lozenges whenever you feel cough sensation. The lozenges have to be sucked and not swallowed. Take Cherikoff LS syrup thrice daily, 1 TSP. Drink plenty of warm water. Abstain from smoking. Take tablet Pantacid 40 mg 1 tablet twice daily before meals. Avoid dust and smoke. If going in dust areas wear a mask.

Most probably it will not be cancer. Take the above treatment and write to us after 2 or 3 days. You will make good progress. If within 2 or 3 days you do not find any progress then I suggest you take a course of Clarithromycin 250 mg 1 tablet twice daily for 5 days. When you write to us next, please take a picture of open throat and send us so that we can see the posterior pharyngeal wall for any nodule or congestion or hypertrophy. Also palpate your neck yourself and check for any swelling or lump. Do not worry and you will be fine soon. Have a peaceful and healthy mind. Do not smoke.

| 

Does coughing up blood mean cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I was a smoker for four and half years. Six months back, I got my chest X-ray, and my reports were normal. Then I was an intermittent smoker, and I caught a cough. It was dry. I did not care and did not take medications for it, but within a week, it increased. So when I took medicatio...  Read Full »

I am having sore throat. How can I cure it?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having a sore throat for past one week. The pain is mild but constant, it feels as if there is something is stuck in the back of my throat or on my tongue, but nothing is there. There is redness around the area. I went to the doctor five days back and was prescribed a 10 day...  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now