Q. Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Published on May 08, 2016

I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• You need a course of antibiotics, some anti-inflammatory drugs, nasal decongestant drops and steam inhalation for few days. This will remove the infection from tube, make the tube patent and ensure drainage and ventilation of middle ear.
  • Antibiotics could be of Fluoroquinolone genre, anti-inflammatory of trypsin-chymotrypsin and nasal decongestant of Xylometazoline or Oxymetazoline nasal drops.
  • This is not a very serious condition and it will be better with the medications.

For further clarifications consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following precautions are very important for your child: Avoid cool drinks. Avoid sour fruits like lemon, orange, etc. Give steam inhalation with a drop or two of Benzoine tincture. Avoid outside food, fried food, and colored food. Gargle with warm salt water twice ...  Read Full

Why do I have headache, cold, and running nose?

Query: Hi doctor, From yesterday I have a headache, cold, and running nose. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of acute upper respiratory tract infection. It can be a viral infection too. Symptomatic management is done with decongestant like Levocetirizine or Phenylephrine. Vitamin C is having antioxidant property so it can be prescribed as lozenges....  Read Full

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full