Q. Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.

#

• You need a course of antibiotics, some anti-inflammatory drugs, nasal decongestant drops and steam inhalation for few days. This will remove the infection from tube, make the tube patent and ensure drainage and ventilation of middle ear.
  • Antibiotics could be of Fluoroquinolone genre, anti-inflammatory of trypsin-chymotrypsin and nasal decongestant of Xylometazoline or Oxymetazoline nasal drops.
  • This is not a very serious condition and it will be better with the medications.

For further clarifications consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full »

Why do I have headache, cold, and running nose?

Query: Hi doctor, From yesterday I have a headache, cold, and running nose. Please help me.  Read Full »

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»