Q. What is the accuracy of HIV CMIA on 26th day post exposure?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 22, 2021

I have taken an HIV CMIA test on the 26th day after a sexual encounter. The result came back negative. After that, I had protected sex. But I saw some blood on the inner parts of my partner. At that time, I had two pimples on my penis at the end. I am concerned about it. Does this HIV test taken on the 26th day is conclusive?

#

HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) test taken on the 26th day of post-exposure is quite assuring but a confirmatory HIV antibody test is required to be taken at three months of last exposure. You do not have any specific symptoms to diagnose HIV. Your present symptoms can occur due to various reasons and it does not mean HIV. Do some tests for diagnosing sexually transmitted infections such as HBsAg (hepatitis B virus antigen), anti-HCV (hepatitis C virus), VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory), gonorrhea, herpes simplex 1 and 2. Try to do tests to know your vitamin D3 and vitamin B12 levels. Revert with your reports.

After the day of exposure. I am checking my temperature daily. I had a temperature of 35.8 degrees in the morning, 36.4 degrees in the afternoon, and in the evening, I had 36.8 degrees.

#

It is good to know that you do not have a fever. It gives you assurance for having a negative HIV result taken at 26 days. A confirmatory test should be taken at three months. Revert with remaining STI reports.

I have done all the tests and I will get my results soon. I am attaching some reports now.

#

I am not able to open your attached reports.

Kindly go through my attachment.

#

It is not clear.

I am attaching it again. Kindly go through it.

#

I am not able to see your reports.

I have done tests to know my values of vitamin B12 and vitamin D3. I have done tests for syphilis, HIV, herpes 1, and herpes 2.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your vitamin D level is low and herpes IgG is positive. Please mention whether you have any genital lesions.

I am attaching my syphilis report. I do not have any lesions on my penis. But I have some small pimples on it. Will a positive herpes result indicate a serious issue?

#

I am not able to see your reports.

I do not have any lesions on my penis. But I have some small bumps on my genitals. I am waiting to get my complete report. Is there any test that gives a conclusive result for HIV?

#

You seem to be exposed to the herpes virus in the past. If you have any active genital or oral lesions due to herpes virus, then it has to be treated.

I am attaching my reports. I am attaching the images of bumps present on the genitals.

#

You have low vitamin D levels. Take Calcirol sachet once a month with milk. You have a positive result for IgG herpes. All the other results are negative. Your picture is not clear. It likely presents folliculitis. Maintain your hygiene and apply Neosporin ointment locally. For confirming HIV, it is necessary to do tests after three months of exposure to get a confirmative result.

Do I need to do an HIV RNA PCR test?

#

Even after getting a negative result in RNA PCR, you need to do a confirmatory HIV antibody test after three months.

refer attached confirmatory hiv test after 3 months. please confirm now the test is conclusive. also since last 3 days i am having a rash on back . dermatologist said it is herpes zoster. i read herpes zoster is common among hiv positive people. please confirm is herpes zoster intial symptom of hiv

#

1) Your test report, post three months of exposure, dated 4/7/2020 is negative. If there is no more exposure, other than you mentioned, no further test is required for HIV. 2) Herpes zoster can occur in any individual even without HIV. It is a viral illness and occurs more in this season. You can send picture of lesion, as I can recommend you treatment. Moreover, for herpes zoster, treatment needs to be initiated and completed earliest possible, so as to prevent post herpes complications. Best wishes!

Hello Mam,since the event I am so much in depression of getting hiv . I have had a very bad 4 months of my life. Hope now I can relax . I have since then did not even looked at any girl. I was so much disturbed. Please refer attached image for rash on back which the dermatologist said is herpes zoster. Please see as he also told herpes zoster is common in hiv positive. Please guide

#

1) Your test result of HIV is conclusively negative, if there is no further exposure. Recommendations are to get 3 MTHS test and if the result is negative and there is no further exposure, no more test for HIV is required.2) No doubt, herpes zoster is seen in HIV, but as I mentioned earlier it is also seen commonly in normal non HIV individuals. There are multiple reasons for zoster to occur of which stress is the main reason or there can be an association of fever.3) Your lesions at back is suggestive of herpes zoster. You would have been prescribed antiviral and pain killer. You can take that, or I have mentioned below the treatment. You can follow any one treatment plan.

1) Tab Valcivir 1g 8 hly (thrice daily) for 5 days. 2) Tab Dolo -650 1 Tab 8 hly for 3 days. I suggest you to take plenty of fluids along with. This means minimum 12- 14 glass of water in a day. Antiviral need to be taken for complete 5 days. There can be post treatment completion pain for which if it is there, you can discuss further. Best wishes!

|