Q. What is the accuracy of HIV CMIA on 26th day post exposure?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I took an HIV CMIA test on 26th day after a sexual encounter. The test result is negative. I had protected sex but I saw some blood on the inner parts of my partner. And also at the time I was having two pimples on my penis at the end and not on the tip. I am concern about that. Is an HIV test on 26th day conclusive?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

HIV negative test report at 26th day post-exposure is quite assuring, but, a confirmatory HIV antibody test is further required at three months of last exposure.

There are no specific symptoms by which we can diagnose HIV. The complaints which you are having could be due to multiple reasons and do not necessarily means HIV.

For the complaints you mentioned besides getting tests for other STIs (sexually transmitted infections) like HBsAg (hepatitis b virus antigen), anti HCV (hepatitis C virus), VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory), gonorrhea PCR (polymerase chain reaction), herpes simplex 1 and 2, I also suggest you to get vitamin D3 and vitamin B12 levels. Is there any fever as well? If so, please send the temperature record.

Please revert with the reports.

| 

Since the day of exposure, I have been taking my temperature daily. My temperature record is as follows:

Morning at 7 AM - 35.8

Afternoon at 12.30 PM - 36.4

Evening at 6 PM - 36.8.

On digital thermometer measured at armpit. All the temperature is constant since the day.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

It is good to know there is no fever, however, most assuring is your negative result at 26 days. Further, a confirmation test at three months is required. Please revert with the remaining STI results.

| 

How far is CMIA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, Please suggest how far is CMIA test for HIV is conclusive at six months. Some say that three months are sufficient enough and a few say that six months is conclusive for 98% cases. Which is the truth? Which is the category who take more than three months for seroconversion?  Read Full »

Do you feel CMIA is better than ELISA?

Query: Hi doctor, My CMIA on 177th day was nonreactive with an index of 1.4. My second CMIA on 181st day was also nonreactive with an index of 0.8. These two were done at different places. If you compare ELISA and CMIA combo for HIV antibody testing, which is better? What is the maximum window period of ...  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now