Q. I took CMIA test 100 days after unprotected sex. Is it conclusive for HIV?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Jun 12, 2018

I had unprotected sex with a sex worker five months back. After that every month I have taken CMIA fourth generation test. After almost 100 days, I took WB test. Then today I took again CMIA test. It is all negative but every month the index values are getting increased from 0.10 to now 0.24. since today it is 110 days over after post exposure. Now I did not do any sexual activity to date. So please confirm me whether I need to wait for six months or it is conclusive of HIV negative? Nowadays I am getting headaches and dry lips. I have also had sinusitis issue.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

The HIV tests are repeatedly negative and after three months exposure. It is conclusive. You are free from HIV. There is no need for further HIV tests.The symptoms are non-specific and are not related to HIV.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

Thanks a lot. But my concern is WB interpretation. It shows negative though it says viral specific bands present. It confuses me a lot. So could you please go through the interpretation read and guide me, please. Also, I took the CMIA test in the same lab. But every month the index value is rising. That is why I am worried a lot. Please clarify doctor.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

Western blot also is negative. It is not positive. Do not worry about the index value once it is negative. Some minor variation in laboratory readings can occur. Forget about it. You are free from HIV provided there is no further risk exposure.

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly pre-existing lesion of herpes or any genital ulcer on the penis during sexual intercourse or oral sex increases the chances of HIV transmission. Your blood report came positive for Herpes 1 and 2. Herpes 1 mostly causes oral ulcers, and herpes 2 causes genital l...  Read Full

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full >>

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. As you had unprotected sex, the chances of pregnancy are there in your case but as it is done on the third day of menses that is why there is no chance of pregnancy in your case. These symptoms could be d...  Read Full

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now