Q. How accurate is CMIA test?

Dr. Sarada. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2019

I had one sexual incidence. After 175 and 180 days, I got tested with CMIA technique. Please check my reports and suggest whether these are conclusively negative. How accurate is CMIA test?

#

• Both the tests show a non-reactive result, which indicates that your reports are fine.
  • Chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay (CMIA) test is a reliable, accurate and standard method. It tests for P24 antigen as well as antibodies to HIV1 and 2. The accuracy of this test is 99.9% after three months post exposure.
  • The window period (the period before development of detectable antibodies) is three months that is, 12 weeks.
  • I consider your test to be conclusively negative because of,
  1. The high accuracy of CMIA test.
  2. The test is performed well beyond the window period (based on your history of only a single exposure 175 to 180 days before the tests).

For further information consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

Thank you for the answer. I just want to know whether CMIA is as good as ELISA. Or is it a kind of ELISA? Can I start my normal family life? May I rest assured and take this episode from my end? I will be thankful to you.

#

• Before I explain about the two tests, please relax. You can very well start your normal family life without any worries.
  • As I can see from your past diagnosis and medical history, you have some psychological issues as well. I highly recommend meditation techniques like Rajyoga meditation, which improves all the four aspects of your health that is, physical, emotional, spiritual and social. So, please give a try.
  • ELISA test looks only for antibodies to an HIV infection. The window period is four weeks to three months.
  • CMIA or combo test that you had done is a fourth generation test. CMIA tests for both antibodies and P24 protein antigens. The P24 antigens can be detected within the first few weeks post-exposure. Therefore, it shortens the window period for the test. This test is considered to be conclusive at six weeks.

Thanks Madam
Thanks for all your advise and I have started Yoga also.
Please suggest the window period of

Hep B [HBsAG Test]
HEP C [Antibody test]
HIV [Antibody & also Genearation 4 test]

Will be thankful
# Hello
Welcome to icliniq
The window period is the period before development of detectable antibodies)
In CMIA test for HIV the window period is 3months or 12 weeks.

In Hep B (HBs Ag ) test the window period and may last as long as 6 months.

In Hepatitis C (Antibody test) It may take up to three months for antibodies to appear in your blood following infection (although it is usually positive by 6 weeks).

|