Q. I have cold, cough and chest pain. What can I do?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

I have been very cold for weeks. I have a runny nose, my body hurts, I have a cough, and a few days ago I had chest pains that lasted some minutes.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner

You have caught a cold alright.

Is there any fever? Also, is the cough productive? If there is no productive cough and no fever, then you probably have a post nasal drip associated with the rhinitis, hence a chronic dry cough.

It could also be tracheitis, in which case you may need prescription antibiotics if it does not go away or gets worse in a couple of days.

The episode of chest pain once was probably just from all the straining of respiratory muscles due to coughing.

For now, if you do not have a fever or a purulent cough, just do the following:

1. Steam with menthol inhalation three times a day.
  2. An antihistamine like Cetirizine.
  3. If symptoms do not improve in two to three days or worsen, prescription antibiotics may be needed for possible tracheobronchitis.
  4. Paracetamol for body ache - just one tablet once or twice daily.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good news, there is no heart attack. It is normal. If there is recurrent chest pain especially with exertion or chest pain that relieves with rest and recurs on walking, climbing stairs, etc., then to be on safer side, have an ETT (exercise tolerance test) done. In this...  Read Full

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a viral or allergic upper respiratory tract infection. Calpol and Combiflam (Ibuprofen with Paracetamol) both should not be used at a time. Use only one drug among these two as they are anti-inflammatory and analgesic. You can also take Vitamin C 500 mg twice a...  Read Full

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Magesh T
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just saw your letter that you been having a difficulty breathing and you are concerned about pneumonia. I would like to get some more information in terms of fever, difficulty breathing, bringing up sputum. Is it yellow color or white color. If you are having all the sy...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now