Q. My 2 year old baby has cold with mucus discharge. Can Augmentin be used?

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Published on Oct 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2019

My baby is 2 years old, has cold with mild fever, consulted the doctor, he gave Maxtra syrup, and nothing else as chest and throat were clear. Then after four days of giving the medicine, the mucus changed to thick yellow color; the doctor said its fine and advised to give him steam. There is no improvement, so I gave him homeopathy medicine for five days. He was better but not fully recovered. Still had a running nose with thick discharge, then again my husband said to visit allopathy doctor, did so, he gave antibiotic Azilide Azithromycin 200 mg for five days. I have done the course, but no change. Again consulted another doctor, he said he has an infection in his nose; he prescribed Augmentin. I am tensed, now he is having vomiting, loose stools because of the previous antibiotic course. Augmentin yet to start. I do not know what to do as I read online that this running nose will take about three weeks to settle on its own. Please help.

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I understood your concern.

1. I advise you to follow Pediatrician advise.

2. You can start Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid).

3. Do blood test CBC (complete blood count), CRP (c-reactive protein), urine, and blood culture.

4. Keep the baby hydrated. Give him more liquids.

5. If he is cranky, not taking foods orally, or looking sick, then please visit the Pediatrician.

6. It may take time to resolve the symptoms. I would suggest you consult a Pediatrician and get him examined and do the necessary report if required. We need to find out the problem for better treatment.

7. Based on your history, I can say that cold may take one or two weeks to subside completely.

Syrup Ondansetron 5 ml three times a day for three days,

Syrup Rantac (Ranitidine) 3 ml two times a day for five days,

Syrup Nutrolin B 5 ml two times a day for three days.

Do I need to give him antibiotics? Won't it get clear on its own?

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Yes, you can start antibiotics. If his symptoms are worsening, then please consult a Pediatrician.

Which drug works better for throat infection,Augmentin or Azithromycin?

Query: Hello doctor, Which drug works better for throat infection, Augmentin or Azithromycin?  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We usually do not care about throat infection when it is mild and then it gets worsened and causes undue discomfort. Regarding choice of appropriate antibiotic, it is very important to know your history. It includes previous use of recent antibiotic, presence of fever, ...  Read Full

Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Balanitis can be either bacterial, fungal, viral or non-infectious. The most common being fungal. It is difficult to say without seeing your clinical picture. Please attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comment on your c...  Read Full

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Magesh T
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just saw your letter that you been having a difficulty breathing and you are concerned about pneumonia. I would like to get some more information in terms of fever, difficulty breathing, bringing up sputum. Is it yellow color or white color. If you are having all the sy...  Read Full