My baby is 2 years old, has cold with mild fever, consulted the doctor, he gave Maxtra syrup, and nothing else as chest and throat were clear. Then after four days of giving the medicine, the mucus changed to thick yellow color; the doctor said its fine and advised to give him steam. There is no improvement, so I gave him homeopathy medicine for five days. He was better but not fully recovered. Still had a running nose with thick discharge, then again my husband said to visit allopathy doctor, did so, he gave antibiotic Azilide Azithromycin 200 mg for five days. I have done the course, but no change. Again consulted another doctor, he said he has an infection in his nose; he prescribed Augmentin. I am tensed, now he is having vomiting, loose stools because of the previous antibiotic course. Augmentin yet to start. I do not know what to do as I read online that this running nose will take about three weeks to settle on its own. Please help.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
I understood your concern.
1. I advise you to follow Pediatrician advise.
2. You can start Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid).
3. Do blood test CBC (complete blood count), CRP (c-reactive protein), urine, and blood culture.
4. Keep the baby hydrated. Give him more liquids.
5. If he is cranky, not taking foods orally, or looking sick, then please visit the Pediatrician.
6. It may take time to resolve the symptoms. I would suggest you consult a Pediatrician and get him examined and do the necessary report if required. We need to find out the problem for better treatment.
7. Based on your history, I can say that cold may take one or two weeks to subside completely.
Syrup Ondansetron 5 ml three times a day for three days,
Syrup Rantac (Ranitidine) 3 ml two times a day for five days,
Syrup Nutrolin B 5 ml two times a day for three days.
Was this answer helpful?|
Thank you doctor,
Do I need to give him antibiotics? Won't it get clear on its own?
Welcome back to icliniq.com.
Yes, you can start antibiotics. If his symptoms are worsening, then please consult a Pediatrician.
Was this answer helpful?|
Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured? Read Full »
Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help. Read Full »
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Paediatrician Now