Q. Is there any simple test available to rule out colon or rectal cancer?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

I have hemorrhoids for a few years. My doctor has suggested me a colonoscopy to rule out cancer. Is there any simple test available to rule out colon or rectal cancer? Please mention an opinion regarding stool occult blood test.

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

First of all, you get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) abdomen done. You can have a presence of mass when you have a colon or rectal cancer. If there is a mass seen, then you can do a colonoscopy. You can also do a CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) as CEA show an increase in range when you have colon cancer. You can also do a stool DNA test. If the stool DNA test is positive, then you can also do a colonoscopy to confirm the diagnosis.

| 

Please mention an opinion regarding stool occult blood test. Can I have bleeding daily in colon cancer as same as hemorrhoids?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Bleeding in colon cancer or hemorrhoids does not have a fixed pattern. If the stool occult test is positive, then colonoscopy can be done to rule out the disease. A stool DNA test is a more specific test for diagnosing it. Colonoscopy is one of the most precise analyses done to diagnose colon cancer. It is very safe and painless nowadays.

| 

I am a teenage girl. Will my height increase further?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a girl. My height is 5, but my parents are much taller. My mom's height is 5'6" and father's 5'8". Will I grow or is it my final height? When I went to a doctor in my city he said that I stopped growing. Is it true? I have already had a period for a year and a half?  Read Full »

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full »

Are my problems related to liver, spleen or colon cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old male. My weight is 244 lb and height is 5 feet 10 inches tall. I have anxiety for almost three years now. I read almost everyday about cancers and my symptoms. I had a blood test six months back and everything came back good besides the white blood cells which were 11.3...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now