Q. After the first chemotherapy for transverse colon cancer, my father is passing blood in the stool. Please help.

Dr. Pratik Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2021

My father is 64 years old. His weight is 52 kg. One week back, he underwent surgery and first chemotherapy for transverse colon cancer third stage. After chemotherapy, he is passing blood in the stool. Why is it so? Please help.

#

As he is post-operative, blood in the stool can occur because of fresh surgery. Consult the surgeon who operated on him and, if possible, do a colonoscopy to look at the origin of bleeding. If it is a minor bleed, they will cauterize it during a colonoscopy itself. If it is a significant bleed, re-surgery can be needed. Chemotherapy can be continued if there is no major bleed on colonoscopy. Please attach all the scan reports to take a look at the condition. Thank you.

The surgery was done two months before, after which there was no bleeding. My father underwent chemotherapy one week before, after which he has blood in his stool.

#

Chemotherapy will not cause blood in stools. It causes mucositis, but that will not cause blood in stools. So I suggest your father do a colonoscopy to find the exact cause of bleeding. Thank you.

|