Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Should I use special eyeglasses if I spend a lot of time in front of the computer?

Answered by
Dr. Priyanka Agarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 38 year old male. I spend nearly 12 hours in front of the laptop every day due to the nature of my work. I have a cylindrical power of -.75 in my right eye for almost five years now. However, nowadays I feeling eye strain. At my workplace, a doctor advised me to use special lenses which provide comfort when using digital devices. My query is are these really helpful or a normal single vision lens with an antireflection coating would do. Your inputs would be much helpful.

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to

  • You do not need special glasses. Rather, you can keep a screen guard over your computer to protect yourself from UV-rays (ultraviolet).
  • Keep your computer at a level below you.
  • I suggest using Systane Ultra eye drops (Polyethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol) three to four times a day. You should put them in between and keep your eyes closed for a minute. Continue this till you get relief and then SOS.

You will be fine.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I used blue light blocking lens according to an optician's suggestion. As I understand there is no real benefit, I will then continue to use my normal SV glasses. Also, as I am nearing 40, do I need to move to progressives?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to

  • Yes, it is better to use progressive lenses because as you near 40, one needs glasses for near-vision as well.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Do You See Strange Floating Objects in Front of Your Eyes?
I have keratoconus. Do I have other options apart from spectacles?
This is the fourth time I am changing my spectacles. I have a headache. What do I do?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is there anything I can do about decompensated heterophoria?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had binocular, horizontal esotropia for two years now, worse on distant gaze. My ophthalmologist diagnosed it to be decompensated heterophoria. Is there anything I can do about it? I spend a lot of time writing and reading on my computer, could that make it worse?  Read Full »

Can psychiatric drugs induce constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has motion problem. For the past one month he is taking psychiatric medicines. Motion problem is there for the past 10 days. Actually he goes motion daily but only very little. Rarely twice a year he gets this problem but after taking medicines it will get cures. But this time s...  Read Full »

Can you tell me some cure for constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am following low carb diet of fewer than 1500 calories and facing constipation problem. Sometimes, I am bleeding while emptying the bowel. My stool is very hard and in groups of small pieces. Also, it comes very low in quantity. I am drinking 5 to 6 liters of water and having green leaf...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.