Q. After taking Duphaston, I noticed brown discharge. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Tinu Philip
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2021

I am 24 years old and trying to get conceived. But my periods are irregular. I consulted a gynecologist. She advised me to take Duphaston. After taking it for five days, I got my periods. I followed the same for the next month. After taking my second dose, I consulted her again. She advised me to take an ultrasound. After seeing it, she gave me Clomid. I took it for five days. After that, I took Duphaston. But my periods are delayed. After 17 days, I noticed a brown discharge. It does not look like periods. Can I expect pregnancy?

#

Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) is given to correct hormone levels. They help in having a pregnancy. In your case, it is difficult to predict pregnancy from your history alone. If there is no pregnancy, there is an initiation of bleeding after stopping Duphaston within one to three days. A brown discharge occurs due to implantation bleeding in case of pregnancy. It can be confirmed by doing a urine pregnancy test or a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test. A positive result helps to confirm pregnancy.

|