Q. Is it normal to have sharp pains in lower abdomen and sometimes in sides during pregnancy?

Published on Nov 04, 2019

I am currently 12 weeks pregnant. I had my first ultrasound at 9 weeks. Everything went fine. The past few days I have been experiencing sharp pains in my lower abdomen and sometimes in my sides. This pain is just uncomfortable, I would not say it is severe. I have not had any bleeding but I have had white milky discharge. All I have been taking is a parentral Vitamin once a day.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? Hope this is your first pregnancy. From your history, I feel this is just the pain due to streching of uterus. Uterus is just a 7 cm muscular organ, till you reach 40 weeks, baby weight is gradually increasing, thereby streching the uterine muscles which will be painful. This also stretches the muscular and ligaments support to uterus, attached to the bones around. Vaginal white thin discharge is normal due to the progesterone hormones.

As long as you have no bleeding, no other obstetric and medical problems, this is fine. To relax uterus, you can have tablet Duphastone twice daily for a month. This is Progesterone which supports the pregnancy.

What is the reason for abdomen pain and poor appetite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an unmarried 35-year-old male. It all started last month when I experienced mid-epigastric pain one fine morning. I took some pain relievers and got rid of that. Then, after almost a week, I got lower back pain on the right side suddenly one morning, then, upper back pain middle ...  Read Full »

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howev...  Read Article

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full »