Q. When is the right time to conceive, during fertile days or ovulation days?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

I am trying to have a baby but nothing is working out. When is the right time to conceive, either during fertile days or ovulation? I tried during fertile days, but nothing happened. Please explain. My cycle is 31 to 34 days.

#

If your cycle is 31 to 34 days long, then 13th to 24th day of your cycle is fertile period. You should have sex in the above period for at least on alternate days and this will increase the chance of having a pregnancy.

Even if everything is normal then also, you do not need treatment for at least a year.

There is naturally a minimum of one chance in 12 cycles in a year of having a pregnancy. You have only one chance of pregnancy if ovulation is normal in one cycle. So, there is one chance in 30 days and 12 chances in one year and this is when you have a normal cycle and ovulation. So it is a time-consuming process. Do not get frustrated.

Just say that in one cycle, if you did not ovulate at all, then that chance is gone and you have to wait for the next. This is what you should first understand.

• For pregnancy to happen normal sperm is also a requirement. So, get it done for your husband.
  • If you are 34 years, then you should consult a gynecologist as you may require detailed investigations.
  • I suggest you to get a hemogram, prolactin, fasting blood sugar level, insulin and thyroid stimulating hormone level in blood done along with a sonography.
  • It is better if all these tests are done on the third day of your menses as it gives a better idea. You may require more blood tests and other investigations.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|