Q. My cousin has a hole in his heart. Does he need any operation?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

My cousin brother, who is 6 years old, has a minute hole of 2 mm in his heart. Sometimes, he takes a deep breath and is feeble by birth. His birth was a C-section. His father also has some chronic heart disease. His father's sister passed away because of heart disease. All the necessary test have been done. Does his condition need an operation?

#

• Your brother is suffering from congenital heart disease. It is most likely it can be an atrial septal defect (ASD) or ventricular septal defect (VSD) or patent ductus arteriosus.
  • I would suggest you get a 2D echo done. It will help us locate the exact cause and location of the hole.
  • As per your question, the location of the 2 mm hole will help us decide whether it can close spontaneously or need surgical closure. Please attach the detailed 2D echo of the patient for further professional advice.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|