Q. I have redness and itching in my vulva after using a hair mask. Kindly help.

Answered by
Dr. Pathave Hari Shivaram
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2021

Hello doctor,

I think I have dermatitis in the vulva, and my gynecologist advised me to get a dermatologist's opinion.

I used a hair mask one month ago. While rinsing the hair mask, it came in contact with my genitals, causing redness, itchiness, burning sensation, and a watery discharge. I took a tablet Fluconazole and applied Vagisil cream. It helped to relieve my discomfort. But the symptoms started again once I got my periods. I went to my gynecologist and performed the test for STDs which came negative but tested positive for bacterial vaginitis, yeast, and streptococcus infection. I took tablet Fluconazole, tablet Doxycycline 100 mcg, Clotrimazole, and Metrogel vaginally. I shaved my private area 15 days back and got my periods the next day. The burning sensation started again, and I visited a gynecologist for the second time. Tests for STDs came negative again, and this time, I was tested positive for candida. I took Fluconazole to relieve my discomfort, but using a sanitary pad worsened my burning sensation and itching. I tried Vagisil, Monistat cream, Honey pot cream, and Vaseline. Only Vaseline gave a little relief. The redness appears on touching, walking, and urinating. By this point, my gynecologist said the issue is dermatological and advised me to consult one.

Kindly help.



Welcome to

Thank you for providing the information.

From your statement, it looks like contact dermatitis with superimposed infection. It is normal to have candida in genital areas, but if it causes curdy white discharge and itching, it is a matter of concern.

For the time being, I suggest you take the following;

Onabet-B cream (Sertaconazole and Beclometasone) in the morning for seven days, Flutibact ointment (Fluticasone Propionate and Mupirocin) in afternoon and night for seven days, tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily for ten days, and revert after seven days.

Further treatment depends upon improvement.

Thank you.

Thank you doctor,

Thank you so much for your reply. Can I go swimming on the beach?



Welcome back to

Yes, you can go swimming. But prefer to go after five days of treatment. Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to Cure Candidial Balanitis?

.. a difference between Candid cream and Candid B cream. This seems like you are having candidial balanitis. Please apply Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) twice daily for a week. Wear loose cotton underpants. Do not wash your foreskin ev...   Read full

I did not remove my make up after a party and slept off.And the very next day I got small red pimples on my face.Please help.

This might be allergic contact dermatitis or cosmetic-induced acne ...   Read full

Will Hydroquinone and Mometasone cause redness and itching after stopping it?

You have developed contact dermatitis due to this medicine ... Contact dermatitis ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.