Q. I have redness and itching in my vulva after using a hair mask. Kindly help.

Dr. Pathave Hari Shivaram

I think I have dermatitis in the vulva, and my gynecologist advised me to get a dermatologist's opinion.

I used a hair mask one month ago. While rinsing the hair mask, it came in contact with my genitals, causing redness, itchiness, burning sensation, and a watery discharge. I took a tablet Fluconazole and applied Vagisil cream. It helped to relieve my discomfort. But the symptoms started again once I got my periods. I went to my gynecologist and performed the test for STDs which came negative but tested positive for bacterial vaginitis, yeast, and streptococcus infection. I took tablet Fluconazole, tablet Doxycycline 100 mcg, Clotrimazole, and Metrogel vaginally. I shaved my private area 15 days back and got my periods the next day. The burning sensation started again, and I visited a gynecologist for the second time. Tests for STDs came negative again, and this time, I was tested positive for candida. I took Fluconazole to relieve my discomfort, but using a sanitary pad worsened my burning sensation and itching. I tried Vagisil, Monistat cream, Honey pot cream, and Vaseline. Only Vaseline gave a little relief. The redness appears on touching, walking, and urinating. By this point, my gynecologist said the issue is dermatological and advised me to consult one.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for providing the information.

From your statement, it looks like contact dermatitis with superimposed infection. It is normal to have candida in genital areas, but if it causes curdy white discharge and itching, it is a matter of concern.

For the time being, I suggest you take the following;

Onabet-B cream (Sertaconazole and Beclometasone) in the morning for seven days, Flutibact ointment (Fluticasone Propionate and Mupirocin) in afternoon and night for seven days, tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily for ten days, and revert after seven days.

Further treatment depends upon improvement.

Thank you so much for your reply. Can I go swimming on the beach?

#

Yes, you can go swimming. But prefer to go after five days of treatment. Thank you.

|