Q. My eye got swollen after wearing contact lenses all day. Will it heal on its own?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

I have twice in the last two weeks scratched the cornea of my eye. The first time was two weeks ago when I was wearing my contacts for an extended time (no more than normal) and started feeling severe pain, tearing, swelling of my right eye. It felt like the contact in my eye folded over (it was not). Slightly sensitive. It took a couple of days and I was back to normal but had not worn my contacts again until the day before, when I wore for a short time, no problem. Yesterday, I wore them all day and had the same reaction of dry eye, tearing, extreme pain, scratchy eyes, extremely light sensitive and very swollen eye. Do I need to go to a doctor for treatment or will it heal on its own? How long should I wait before I wear my contacts again?

#

It looks like you have a huge epithelial defect due to trauma caused by contact lenses. But the possibility of infection can only be ruled out by examining your eye. It would have been great if you would have attached a photograph but, let me suggest some medication that will cover both the defect and infection, if present.

1. Carboxymethyl cellulose 1 % eye drop 10 to 12 times per day.
  2. HPMC eye ointment twice daily.
  3. Moxifloxacin eye drops six times a day.
  4. Tobramycin eye drops four times a day.
  5. Homatropine eye drops once at bedtime (will cause blurred vision especially for near).
  6. Polymixin eye ointment at bedtime.
  7. Discontinue contact lenses for two months.

If no relief is obtained in a couple of days, then visit an ophthalmologist.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|