Q. What are the best options to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I am supposed to get married by next week. But currently I am doing my degree. So after completion of my degree we are planning to have a baby which is almost 1½ year. Can you suggest the best options to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There are many options for contraceptive. So it depends on your choice. I will give you a list with the pros and cons.

1. Condoms -

Pros-cheap and effective; Cons - chances of breakage and improper use chances of pregnancy is present.

2. Oral contraceptive pills (ocp)(low estrogen with fourth generation progestrone )- like yas, Yasmin, ovrall- these have to be taken for 21 days with 7 pill free days. So you will get your periods every month.

Pros - very effective if taken correctly, periods regular, on stopping fertility will return within 3 months. Less side-effects; cons - ineffective if not taken properly or missed pills, weight gain, has to be taken daily. Overall cost is increased.

3. Extended use OCP- here the tablets are taken for 3 months without break with a pill free period after 3 months. Pros - lesser no of periods (only for a year); Cons -same as OCPs and spotting and breakthrough bleeding can occur in between the periods.

4. DMPA injection - Taken once in 3 months Progestrone injection:

Pros - Do not have to take it everyday, lesser side effects, periods may stop coming. Cons - weight gain is higher, return of fertility after stopping takes 1 year.

5. Implants - small rod of hormone is implanted in the arm by the doctor, supplies the hormone for 1 /3/ 5 years.

Pros - single use , fertility returns immediately after removal. Cons - weight gain , mood swings.

6. IUD (I would not recommend this).

7. Progesterone only pills- lots of spotting and irregular bleeding but if there is a history of stroke, clotting disorders,heart attacks, liver disease in the family, this is a safe drug.

8. There are female barrier methods like diaphragm or vaginal rings which have to be fitted by the doctor for the first time and then later just before intercourse.

|