Q. Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avoid pregnancy without using condoms? Please suggest.

#

• If you have sex once a month then you can take emergency pill, but it is known to be less effective. It should not be used more than once a month.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

You told chance of pregnancy is almost nil and also told is less effective. What does it mean?

#

• Chance of pregnancy is almost nil with oral contraceptive pills that are taken for 3 weeks with one week gap.
  • Less effective is emergency pill that is taken only after sex and should not be used more than once a month.

|