Q. Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avoid pregnancy without using condoms? Please suggest.

Do you have a question on Contraceptive Pill or Pregnancy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Purushottam Sah

MBBS., DGO
Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology

• If you have sex once a month then you can take emergency pill, but it is known to be less effective. It should not be used more than once a month.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

You told chance of pregnancy is almost nil and also told is less effective. What does it mean?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

MBBS., DGO

• Chance of pregnancy is almost nil with oral contraceptive pills that are taken for 3 weeks with one week gap.
  • Less effective is emergency pill that is taken only after sex and should not be used more than once a month.

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Natalie Chaitan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before...  Read Full

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Type 1 herpes is a sexually transmitted virus. It spreads with contact with an infected person. It can lead to oro-genital infective lesions. To prevent it, avoid any kind of sexual contact with the infected person especially when the person is having active lesions....  Read Full

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel that you are experiencing an early stage of urinary infection. When you have sex, some penile secretions and semen may enter the bladder. It is a good practice to pass urine after sex. This may not need medication. Have lots of water, milk, juice, barley water or...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now