Q. Which is the safest contraceptive pill?

Dr. Monika Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2020

I am 25 years old, female and I want to take contraceptive pills as birth control device. In past I have taken such pills but due to that I was getting extreme dizziness. So, I am thinking to take 'Saheli' contraceptive pills. Which is non-hormonal and I think it will not bring any side effect. So please kindly provide your opinion on "Saheli" or suggest me any another pill with least side effect.

Dr. Monika Meena

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I see you have been facing some issues with estrogen progesterone hormonal pills like dizziness, weakness etc. Can you specify which ones did you try? Because low dose pills are available now-a-days which are safe and least side effects like yaz, Yasmine, etc. Considering Saheli, it is non hormonal pill with less side effects. Side effects may be menstrual irregularities in a few, nausea due to the steroidal component in it. Its failure rate is 2 per 100 pregnancies, that means 2 of 100 may get pregnant on it, which is almost equal to that of hormonal pills (1.5). Another advantage is that it needs to be taken twice a week only vs daily regular intake of hormonal pills. The resumption to fertility is prompt once you quit taking it for planning the pregnancy. So, you can easily opt for the same. It is a good choice. Other options are DMPA injections which can be taken every 3 monthly in muscles. Intrauterine devices like Copper T, LNG (mirena) are also there but in case, you have not had any baby as of yet, try avoiding these.

|