Q. Which is the safest contraceptive pill?

Dr. Monika Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2020

I am 25 years old, female and I want to take contraceptive pills as birth control device. In past I have taken such pills but due to that I was getting extreme dizziness. So, I am thinking to take 'Saheli' contraceptive pills. Which is non-hormonal and I think it will not bring any side effect. So please kindly provide your opinion on "Saheli" or suggest me any another pill with least side effect.

#

I see you have been facing some issues with estrogen progesterone hormonal pills like dizziness, weakness etc. Can you specify which ones did you try? Because low dose pills are available now-a-days which are safe and least side effects like yaz, Yasmine, etc. Considering Saheli, it is non hormonal pill with less side effects. Side effects may be menstrual irregularities in a few, nausea due to the steroidal component in it. Its failure rate is 2 per 100 pregnancies, that means 2 of 100 may get pregnant on it, which is almost equal to that of hormonal pills (1.5). Another advantage is that it needs to be taken twice a week only vs daily regular intake of hormonal pills. The resumption to fertility is prompt once you quit taking it for planning the pregnancy. So, you can easily opt for the same. It is a good choice. Other options are DMPA injections which can be taken every 3 monthly in muscles. Intrauterine devices like Copper T, LNG (mirena) are also there but in case, you have not had any baby as of yet, try avoiding these.

| 

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »

Took contraceptive pill one hour before sex. Will this prevent pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had intercourse a month back with a condom and also she had an emergency contraceptive pill. I bought it from a medical. They asked her to take it before one hour of intercourse. She had a regular period. Her last period was on 7th of last month but it is 11th of next...  Read Full »

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»