Q. How to cure bad odor caused due to stomach problem?

Dr. Rashi Verma
Published on Feb 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I am a regular alcoholic. The problem is that I have bad smell due to stomach problem. Suggest me how to cure bad smell. Thank you.

Dr. Rashi Verma

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

With little changes in diet and lifestyle, it is possible to remove the bad smell.

1. Have food in a proper manner and always have smaller bites.
  2. Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly so that all of what you eat gets digested. Do not gulp your food.
  3. While having lots of water during the day is good for health, do not have water half an hour before and after meals. This interferes into proper digestion of food.
  4. Avoid junk food and have healthy diet with fiber rich fruits and vegetables. Fibers are the great way to digest food.
  5. Avoid sulfur rich foods like beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, yeast-laden foods such as breads, cheese and even carbonated drinks.
  6. Do not have cold drinks just after meals. If you need to have something then have warm healthy liquids such as certain herbal teas like anise tea, chamomile tea, spearmint tea, and caraway tea.
  7. Avoid foods like beans and other legumes, wheat and wheat bran, cabbage, onions, milk and other dairy products. They can cause gas if you are lactose intolerant or have lesser amounts of the enzyme called lactase needed to digest dairy products.
  8. Avoid Fatty meats, fried foods, cream sauces as well as gravies.
  9. Avoid sugar substitutes not all but many people cannot absorb sorbitol contained in sugar free products.
  10. Have lots of ginger.
  11. Since your consumption of alcohol is high, you need to control that most importantly.
  12. Try walking for 15 minutes after food intake as it helps in digestion.

Please suggest a diet plan to lose weight.

Query: Hi doctor, I have gastric problem. Can you suggest me diet plan to lose weight with consideration of my gastric problem. Please specify any precautions to be taken and mention the source of food. I am attaching my medical reports which I have done before six months. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Dr. Manidipa Dey
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to follow a high protein, low calorie and low fat balanced diet. Do not skip your breakfast. To control gastric problem you need to take food at proper interval. Do not let your stomach empty for a longer time. For hypertension avoid table salt intake and use l...  Read Full

Please suggest a diet plan for hypothyroidism and high BP.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50 year old male. My height is 6 feet and my weight is 90 kg. I take regular medications for hypothyroidism and high BP. I am attaching my latest reports. Please suggest a low-carb high-fat vegetarian diet.  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Suryawanshi
Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your height, your ideal weight should be 63 kg. You need to reduce at least 25 kg. Your total cholesterol count is high. General suggestions as follows:...  Read Full

What can be done for bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bad breath problem. I really feel a bad breath in my mouth when I wake up early in the morning.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern. There are two main general reasons for halitosis (bad breath) related to oral cavity or teeth and the second one is related to the stomach. For oral cavity related you need to check for any cavity, accumulat...  Read Full