Q. How to cure bad odor caused due to stomach problem?

Dr. Rashi Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I am a regular alcoholic. The problem is that I have bad smell due to stomach problem. Suggest me how to cure bad smell. Thank you.

#

With little changes in diet and lifestyle, it is possible to remove the bad smell.

1. Have food in a proper manner and always have smaller bites.
  2. Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly so that all of what you eat gets digested. Do not gulp your food.
  3. While having lots of water during the day is good for health, do not have water half an hour before and after meals. This interferes into proper digestion of food.
  4. Avoid junk food and have healthy diet with fiber rich fruits and vegetables. Fibers are the great way to digest food.
  5. Avoid sulfur rich foods like beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, yeast-laden foods such as breads, cheese and even carbonated drinks.
  6. Do not have cold drinks just after meals. If you need to have something then have warm healthy liquids such as certain herbal teas like anise tea, chamomile tea, spearmint tea, and caraway tea.
  7. Avoid foods like beans and other legumes, wheat and wheat bran, cabbage, onions, milk and other dairy products. They can cause gas if you are lactose intolerant or have lesser amounts of the enzyme called lactase needed to digest dairy products.
  8. Avoid Fatty meats, fried foods, cream sauces as well as gravies.
  9. Avoid sugar substitutes not all but many people cannot absorb sorbitol contained in sugar free products.
  10. Have lots of ginger.
  11. Since your consumption of alcohol is high, you need to control that most importantly.
  12. Try walking for 15 minutes after food intake as it helps in digestion.

|