Q. I am a 33 year old with high cholesterol. Do I need medicines to lower it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33 year old with high cholesterol (reading attached). I had first deducted this high cholesterol in 2016. I have been doing some moderate walking (not regularly though). I have general weakness, lack of strength, stamina, and my hands tremble when I lift anything heavy, also if squat or do sit-ups there is slight tremble. I have a lot of red meat in my diet till last week and also eating out which I plan to reduce. I do not have BP. Family has a history of diabetes. But my fasting blood sugar is normal. I have reduced my fat intake and have included flak seeds, and almonds in my diet and reduced eating out. I am eating fish oil, shuddha guggulu (Himalaya medicine) to reduce cholesterol from last one month. Should I consult a doctor to take medicine to lower my cholesterol? What should I do to reduce my cholesterol/ LDL?

#

Firstly your reports are not attached. You should try it again or else contact the administrator.

In this young age, we usually do not start medicine unless cholesterol is very high, say more than 250 or LDL more than 160 or so.

So, you need to change your lifestyle first and have regular exercise for two to three months and repeat lipid profile after that. If it is controlled on that we will continue the same or else we will start medicine after eight to 10 weeks.

You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according to your capacity at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week, avoid meat. Avoid yellow part of eggs as it is rich in cholesterol. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. There should not be abdominal fat deposition or obesity. Try to achieve BMI under 23. I think your elevated cholesterol should respond to dietary modifications.

Your other symptoms are due to general weakness and lack of regular exercises but once get yourself examined by a local doctor for muscle power and reflexes just to be extra sure.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts and also upload the lipid profile report.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|