Q. Is it fine to give Benzodiazepine along with Carbamazepine to a 6-year-old boy during multiple convulsions?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

My 6-year-old son has multiple convulsions, and he is under Carbamazapine medication. I used to have convulsions when I was a kid too. We had an EEG done about a month ago. Can my son have Benzodiazepine to reduce convulsions during seizure clusters? Or is there any contradiction? Please help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

You can give him Benzodiazepine when he has convulsions, but you must ask your psychiatrist to increase the dose of Carbamazepine or add another anti convulsion medication.

I suggest you can add tablet Valproate (Sodium Valproate and Valproic acid).

I hope that you got your answer.

Please let me know if you want more help.

Brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).

|