Q. My father is on the ventilator for COVID-19 treatment. Please guide us to cure him early.

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 19, 2022

My father, aged 59 years, was found to be COVID-19 positive a month ago. After which, he is suffering from a lung infection. Right now, he is admitted to a hospital after one week of COVID-19 illness. Currently, he has completed all the required injections of Itolizumab followed by Ulinastatin injection. Now further injection is not recommended by the doctor. Hence Pirfenidone tablet is now prescribed. He is still on a BiPAP ventilator. Please guide us further to cure him as early as possible—a kind request.

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. BiPAP (biphasic positive airway pressure) ventilator airway pressure by face mask ventilation can reduce the endotracheal intubation in treating severe pneumonia caused by COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) in acute respiratory failure. By using BiPAP, your father will get positive air pressure during breath in and out. Pirfenidone is used for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. It reduces lung fibrosis. Again, Itolizumab is a monoclonal antibody that is used in severe respiratory distress patients. So, according to the current treatment schedule, your father has been suffering from COVID-19 associated complications or consequences like pneumonia, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, respiratory failure, etc. So, he is in critical condition now. If his oxygen saturation level becomes raised and persists above 95 percent, he will recover from his present illness. Corticosteroids like Dexamethasone and broad-spectrum antibiotics may be added to his current treatment regimen. Take care and let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any specific care he needs to take further? I am attaching his reports for your reference. Please help.

#

Thanks for joining again. I have gone through your father's recent investigation reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) and found abnormalities in his blood picture. Some of his blood parameters are raised, and some parameters are low than usual. These changes of blood parameters indicate the severity of infection like respiratory failure, which are evident from the ABG (arterial blood gas) analysis test. He has already been suffering from pulmonary fibrosis, an irreversible condition, and his condition may deteriorate day by day. Change his posture every two hours to avoid pressure sores, keep him in propped up position, during feeding he can be in the sitting position to prevent aspiration pneumonia, etc. Some medications like Dexamethasone for reducing inflammation and improving respiratory functions, broad-spectrum antibiotics for preventing any secondary infections, antihistamines, and leukotriene receptor antagonists for preventing bronchospasm can be given along with his current medications. It is difficult to predict whether his condition will be worse or better in the long run. Take care. In case of any other query, knock me.

|