Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Will pain in cracked tooth goes away after root canal treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 14, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have a cracked tooth which I believe needs a root canal and a crown that I think went bad. I am in excruciating pain. I have been to emergency rooms they have given me Clindamycin and Vicodin for pain but it barely touches the pain. I have been on antibiotics for two days. I thought I would see some improvement but the swelling and pain are getting worse. I have had a staphylococcus infection before is it possible that this could be one? The infection was on the right side of my face. I have been waiting for two months to get into my dentist.



Welcome to

I read your complaint and relevant details.

You have mentioned you got a swelling. I just want to make sure if the swelling is confined close to the tooth or is it spreading?

The severe pain along with fever and swelling confirms that the infection has gone bad. Clindamycin is the only antibiotic that you are taking. I recommend you to take Metronidazole 400 mg orally twice daily along with Clindamycin for five days. This will fight against another group of bacteria and reduce the swelling to an extent. Also, continue with your pain killers as well.

Tramadol works well for moderate to severe pain. But in your case, it does not sound so. For immediate relief, crush one tablet of Ketorol DT (ketorolac tromethamine) in half a glass of water and drink it straight away. You will feel better in 15 minutes.

Otherwise, complete relief will be got only after the necessary dental treatment. Antibiotics are just add ons. Do not totally rely upon them.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can root canal treatment help reduce swelling around infected teeth?
Is root canal treatment necessary if there is no pain in the tooth?
I have severe pain due to abscess in cracked tooth. What has to be done?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I fell and cracked my fron tooth. The crack is not evident, but the tooth is sensitive. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,Three days ago, I fell on my face and cracked my right front tooth right in the middle, horizontally. You cannot see the crack with your bare eyes, but if you shine a light from the back of my tooth, you will see it correctly. It goes from the right to the left, and it stops two millime...  Read Full »

Will taking Metronidazole and Tergynan affect baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in fir...  Read Full »

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.