Q. Will pain in cracked tooth goes away after root canal treatment?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I have a cracked tooth which I believe needs a root canal and a crown that I think went bad. I am in excruciating pain. I have been to emergency rooms they have given me Clindamycin and Vicodin for pain but it barely touches the pain. I have been on antibiotics for two days. I thought I would see some improvement but the swelling and pain are getting worse. I have had a staphylococcus infection before is it possible that this could be one? The infection was on the right side of my face. I have been waiting for two months to get into my dentist.

#

I read your complaint and relevant details.

You have mentioned you got a swelling. I just want to make sure if the swelling is confined close to the tooth or is it spreading?

The severe pain along with fever and swelling confirms that the infection has gone bad. Clindamycin is the only antibiotic that you are taking. I recommend you to take Metronidazole 400 mg orally twice daily along with Clindamycin for five days. This will fight against another group of bacteria and reduce the swelling to an extent. Also, continue with your pain killers as well.

Tramadol works well for moderate to severe pain. But in your case, it does not sound so. For immediate relief, crush one tablet of Ketorol DT (ketorolac tromethamine) in half a glass of water and drink it straight away. You will feel better in 15 minutes.

Otherwise, complete relief will be got only after the necessary dental treatment. Antibiotics are just add ons. Do not totally rely upon them.

|