Q. Is there any treatment for reducing creatinine level?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease. At present her creatinine level is 4.8. Her creatinine levels in the last two years have been increasing in order such as 2, 2.2, 2.7, 3.8 and 4.8 respectively. Her urea level is 114. Is there any treatment for reducing creatinine level? She is suffering from hypertension. Her current prescribed medicines are Cilacar 10 and Met-XL 50 mg. Please guide me doctor.

#

By seeing her reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), I understand the pattern of rise in creatinine and her condition of chronic kidney disease (CKD).

As such there are no medicines to cure creatinine. You just have to make sure that she maintains her blood pressure within normal range so as to prevent further kidney damage.

I am sorry to say that she would eventually require dialysis. You can consider her for a renal transplant that would give her a better life. I know you would be disappointed after hearing my answer but your doctor must have said the same.

Thanks for your reply. Since you have seen all her reports, I just wanted to know whether she needs dialysis right now or we can wait.

#

Creatinine is never an indication for dialysis. Dialysis is required as a consequence of high creatinine and renal failure like reduced urine output, seizures, raised potassium, breathlessness, intractable hiccups and a lot more.

So, your doctor would look for any of the complications and would guide you for the right time for dialysis. However, in the meantime, you should make her mentally prepared for that. This is the right time to get her AV (arteriovenous) fistula formed which would be the site from which dialysis would be performed.

|