Q. I am worried about my body condition due to relapse of Crohn's disease. Kindly help.

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2021

I have done a colonoscopy and gastroscopy ten years back. My colonoscopy report showed mucosa with patchy moderate congestion and erythema. My gastroscopy showed gastritis, duodenitis, and cryptitis. My general practitioner predicted Crohn's disease in the small intestine after seeing my endoscopy reports. I have some symptoms. I seem to fall apart. The intensity and time between the flare-ups are getting shorter and stronger. I spend more hours on the toilet only for bowel movements. The gastroenterologist advised me to take Asacol three times a day, Prednisolone 30 mg a day, Codeine 60 mg for pain, and Omeprazole twice a day.

After two weeks of steroid treatment, I had some improvement. The doctor wants to taper steroids for me and he advised me to take Co-codamol. I am taking it for the last five years. My body is waiting to do another colonoscopy and gastroscopy. I have vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, feeling ill, nausea, fatigue, itchy skin, mouth ulcers, and cold sores with joint pain. I have lost my appetite with the loss of weight. I have back pain with pins and needle sensation in my hands with cramps. I have dull abdominal pain with stomach pain.

I have sudden cramps and pain after eating. I have pain in the stomach before and after bowel movements. I run 20 times a day to have bowel movements. After emptying my bladder, I have skin flaps on my anus. I always have urgency for bowel movements. I get cold shivers and feel cold all the time. I have dizziness with swollen glands in the throat. I do not feel well. I cannot work and struggle every day.

I am really worried about my body. I sleep at night with the help of sleeping pills. My doctor told me to have a follow-up after four weeks. I got admitted to the hospital four times this year. My gastroenterologist is refusing me to treat my condition. They give me IV fluids and sends me home with Co-codamol and Diazepam. I am a fit person with doing workouts six days a week. Crohn's disease occurs genetically in my family. I am taking Asacol, Co-codamol, Buscopan, Codeine, Omeprazole, and tapered steroids. Please suggest.

#

As you have Crohn's disease multiple times, you need to take steroids. You may also require Azathioprine and it is a good immunomodulator for Crohn's disease. But it has to be prescribed by the gastroenterologist and it needs continuous monitoring to know its side effects. If your body tolerates Azathioprine, then you can take them with continuous monitoring.

You have Crohn's disease (CD).

You need to do CBC (complete blood count), LFT (liver function test), CRP (C-reactive protein), and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

You have Crohn's disease.

Follow them as advised.

Follow the preventive measures as advised.

|