Q. What causes teeth shaped indentations on the sides of the tongue?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Mar 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I always get indentations on the sides of my tongue because of my teeth, and sometimes my tongue gets cut. My middle teeth are crooked. I am attaching photos of my teeth and tongue.

#

I have seen the pictures you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) along with the complaint.

• The teeth that you have mentioned are said to be out of arch and is called crowding of teeth. The reason behind it is, lack of space for your teeth during the eruption stage.
  • There is nothing wrong with it at the moment. It can be corrected, and your teeth can be aligned through braces treatment (orthodontic treatment).
  • Regarding the indentation of teeth on the sides of your tongue, it is again a typical feature for people having a considerably large tongue.
  • The tongue is a muscular organ which sometimes takes up the shape of the sliding teeth surfaces. These indentations will not hurt you in any way. Some studies even say that it could be due to extreme stress.
  • So, I advise you to stay relaxed, hydrate yourself well and eat whole, nutritious food instead of grabbing junk food.
  • I suggest you visit your nearby orthodontist for the braces treatment, as this is the right age to undergo orthodontic treatment.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

How to correct jaw discomfort and bite alignment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I have jaw discomfort and a misaligned bite. I have not removed my wisdom tooth, and I have a habit of popping the jaw. I usually put my palm over the jaw near my ear, and there will be a pop. I have a gum tissue behind my molar, and I am unable to close my left side o...  Read Full »

Health Benefits from Eating Eggs

Article Overview: Egg protein has the highest nutritive quality as compared to any other dietary protein. An egg is said to be a complete food because of its nutritional benefits, such as vitamins, minerals, proteins, best quality of fat, etc. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

Who does not know the benefits of an egg? I think everyone is familiar with this nutritious white diamond of the food group. It is a rich source of all nutrients except vitamin C (ascorbic acid). An egg of 50 g weight contains the following: Calorie - 85. Protein - 6.5 g (13 % of RDA). Fat - 6....  Read Article

Indiscriminate Use of Mouthwash Alone is not the Solution for Halitosis

Article Overview: Most of the time people never care about the underlying cause of bad breath, they just use mouthwash and think "all is well". This article stresses on the fact that mouthwash alone is not a solution for bad breath. Read Article

Whenever we experience bad smell or breath emanating from our mouth, the next thing we do is go and buy a mouthwash to get rid of it. This goes on for 1 or 2 months, and then we give up to the fate or finally decide for some expert opinion. We need to give bad breath more importance in our daily li...  Read Article