Q. What is the treatment for cutaneous vasculitis?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

My 18-year-old daughter has cutaneous vasculitis, mainly covers her lower legs, according to the ER doctor and family doctor as of 3 weeks ago. She is so miserable. I have had to keep her home from school and let her put her feet up. When she goes to school or is on her feet for any length of time, she ends up in pain. She cries and tells me her legs hurt and burn poorly. She feels nauseated and complains of stomach pain regularly and tired.

Today, she became weak as she could harldly go from one room to the next. She seemed as if she was going to drop or pass out. As usual, I brought her to the ER (again) where she was told it was not an emergency and there is nothing they can do; she needs to wait until a Rheumatologist can see her which is still a week away. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? Or is this normal for her to feel this way with vasculitis?

#

I have gone through your history. It seems a bit weird that no one is starting the treatment yet.

Firstly, with vasculitis, one needs to see if it is limited only to the skin or the internal organs as well. We need to see her blood routine, urine routine, and a chest x-ray before concluding it is only limited to the skin.

Secondly, if you can, then please get her tested for ANA (antinuclear antibody) and ANCA (anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody). These are the mandatory test for vasculitis. Vasculitis will only respond to steroids. I am not sure if you can get your hands on it unless your GP suggests, but meanwhile, give her some anti-inflammatory like Naprosyn (Naproxen), only after making sure that her renal function tests are normal.

I hope the information is useful. Do let me know for more queries.

|