Q. Can you help with my urticarial vasculitis?

Answered by
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

Hi doctor,

For the past one year, I have been having bouts of urticarial vasculitis with lumps under skin on upper arms which turn to large rusty red areas before bruising yellow and fading away. The rash is transient and moves around the body across thighs, etc. My knees go red and there is a blue swelling. I am having low grade fever and malaise. Now the fingers next to thumbs on both hands are turning in with pronounced bony lumps on the fingers on the joints nearest the nails. Neck gets stiff and elbows have red areas too. I have feeling in the chest though seems to be asthma related apparently. My ESR and CRP are normal, but I have eosinophilia. My liver and kidney functions are fine, but alkaline phosphatase is borderline high. I have confirmed vitamin D deficiency and osteopenia. I have raised anticardiolipins since mid twenties and it never become normal. Can you help? My paternal grandmother had Paget's disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Low C3 and C4 have been identified in my son and also with my nephew. Currently, I am taking Venlafaxine for symptoms of menopause.



Welcome to

Well, urticaria can be very disabling. I am not sure if they done the biopsy of the lesion yet, but to label it as vasculitis we need a biopsy. The reason is difference in management between urticarial vasculitis and urticaria.

Also, could you give me more details on the treatment taken previously for urticarial vasculitis? It needs a long course with steroids along with other immunosuppresion.

If urticaria, we need to manage it with antiallergics in high dose. Do let me know these queries as the diagnosis is still in doubt here.

Revert back with the answers to a rheumatologist online -->

Hi doctor,

I have only had antihistamines. I have attached the picture of the lesion for your reference. Thanks.



Welcome back to

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is quite a big uritcarial rash. I would like to know whether it has ever been biopsied.

If it is vasculitis, anti allergics will only help partially.

Secondly, tell me the dosage and medications of antiallergics you are taking. As one needs to be on a higher dose of antiallergics for urticaria than the routine ones.

Revert back with the details to a rheumatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is it advisable to consume steroids while trying to get pregnant?

When checked with doctor, I was informed that the fluid has entered deep and need steroids to recover it ... Along with this steroid, doctor have given Clarinase and one more tablet named Gasec for preventing the stomach rel...   Read full

My kid developed papular urticaria post insect bite and not subsided on medication. Why?

Checked with my doctor and initially, it was ruled out as chickenpox along with insect bite allergy ...   Read full

What is the treatment for sinusitis?

To take antiallergic like Levocetirizine ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Rheumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.