Q. My wife is on Pradaxa for antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. What is the effect of stopping it?

Published on Oct 16, 2019

My wife just started on Pradaxa (blood thinner) a week back. She has an antiphospholipid antibody, but she has not had any clot before. We started seeing a couple of small bruises today in her hand without any injury. I want to know if we need to stop it. We consulted a doctor in the next couple of days but needed a second opinion on it.

What would be the effect if we stop taking Pradaxa? What is the other alternative?

Does she need to be on the blood thinner, even though she has not developed any clot yet? She was allergic to aspirin, so she could not take that.

Lab test report says that her antiphospholipid antibodies were high and as per the hematologist, she is at high risk for a clot.

#

How was she diagnosed with APS (antiphospholipid antibody syndrome)? She most likely has an incidental APS, and I doubt if there are any recommendations to use anticoagulation in this particular group (positive antibodies with no clots).

Now coming to your question, Pradaxa (Dabigatran), as you know, is a blood thinner, and it will predispose her to have bruises, which are mostly harmless. What you need to look for is a huge hematoma (collection of blood beneath the skin), blood in stools, and urine.

If you have discussed with your doctor to continue the Pradaxa for prophylaxis of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and PE (pulmonary embolism), then do not discontinue it, although, as I mentioned earlier it is controversial.

Why am I getting recurrent miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, At first, I ended up with miscarriage in 8 months. It was a natural one when the baby movement got less and I was unable to determine. Then, after eight months I conceived. That also ended with a miscarriage in a month's time. I have¬†gone through D and C. Now, I have been trying to conce...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Three months is a short duration for conception to occur. Chance of pregnancy after trying for six months is 70%. You can safely try naturally for another six months. There is very less likely to be any pathology preventing pregnancy. If conception does not occur in anoth...  Read Full

Why should one take beta blocker when blood pressure is already controlled?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 66 years old, has hypertension since past 25 years, is on Olmark A 40 and hypothyroidism since past six years and taking Thyronorm 50 mcg. Recently, diagnosed with atrial fibrillation with controlled rate. He is taking Acitrom 3 mg now, his blood pressure is 120/80 mm of ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, his INR (international normalized ratio) is not in range. It should be between 2 to 3. So, his Acitrom (Acenocoumarol) dose should be increased to 3 and 4 mg on alternate days (3 mg on one and 4 mg on the next day) and get his INR checked after one week. INR...  Read Full

Why is there atrial fibrillation in a patient with stent?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather is experiencing atrial fibrillation. He got stents 20 years back.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to worry about it. It is common in elders and heart patients. There are two aspects of treatment, one is to control the heart, which is already controlled in ECG report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and another is to have blood thi...  Read Full