Q. I have added Tablet Olanzapine to my medication intake. Is it fine?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

I have a history of antidepressant-induced psychosis once, and LSD-induced psychosis. And depression on and off for a long time. I have been on Effexor XR 225 mg for 6 to 8 weeks, slowly increasing over six weeks. Lithium 250 mg, I have added Olanzapine 2.5 mg now 5 mg at night and just started having nightmares, night terrors, waking in the middle of the night, and sweating since increasing Olanzapine. What is happening? Please help.

#

Sometimes, an increased dose of Tablet Olanzapine (an antipsychotic medication) can cause you these side effects. You need to reduce the medicine dose back to 2.5 mg. Also, keep a watch on your weight and blood sugar, as this can also be increased. I would suggest you to exercise regularly and maintain good diet. I hope this helps.

Do I still need to take a Lithium tablet, and what do I do if symptoms persist or my mood is not better? Please advise.

#

I suggest Lithium tablet. Because stopping the Lithium pill can cause a relapse of symptoms. However, if you want to stop Lithium, then taper it slowly over a few months and do not stop it abruptly. I hope this helps.

|