Q. How frequent should I have sex to conceive?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I am 29 years old. I am trying to conceive, but circumstances are not favored. My husband's odd work timings makes him too tired. We are hardly trying twice a month. Sugar and lipid profile are normal. Also, pap smear done, which is normal.

#

• If you have been married for more than a year and trying to conceive,  then you should carry out some tests.
  • It includes thyroid hormone profile, serum estrogen, FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) levels and TORCH infection profile (toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes and others), urine examination, vaginal swab culture and ultrasound of uterus to pinpoint the cause. Also, carry out your husband's semen analysis.
  • Try to conceive between 10 and 20 days of your menstrual cycle. Do not worry and relax.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have done all the above tests except for ultrasound and semen analysis. Which specialization of doctor should I choose for my husband for consultation. I feel not trying enough can be the cause. How can we overcome it?

#

• Ultrasound can be done by any radiologist to rule out pelvic inflammatory disease or any other uterine or ovarian pathology.
  • Semen analysis can be carried out by a pathologist. Both these tests can be done in a good diagnostic center around your home.
  • Yes, increase the frequency and that can also be the cause if all the results are normal. Try to have intercourse at least once a day.

| 

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»