Q. Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Jan 25, 2018

Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attached the results.Thanks

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

The attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that it has normal liquefaction time, total sperm count is in the normal range and active mobile is low, volume adequate, and normal morphology is low and also has puss cell which indicates that you are suffering from an infection.

So, it is advisable that you take a course of antibiotics according to the culture and sensitivity test after consulting with your treating doctor.

Hope this clarifies your concern.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Good day. Thanks for your prompt response. I have seen all this from the test result and I wanted an interpretation as to what it means. Is my semen good enough from my ends to fertilize an egg for conception? Does the infection E.coli affect my semen to fertilize an egg for conception? Basically, I want an interpretation, not in medical terms, but in layman terms to answer the test result. Thanks.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

E.coli infection does hamper the overall quality of your semen. But, once the infection is treated successfully, most probably you can fertilize the egg for conception.

As the test results of your semen, it is not as abnormal that you cannot fertilize the egg. Hope this clarifies your concern more clearly.

My prostate is boggy, and my semen culture showed E.coli bacteria. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 years old, and I have been suffering from pain during ejaculation. After ejaculation, I feel severe burning during urination at the tip of the penis, from the past six years. From the past year, at the time of ejaculation, the semen does not come out with force, and it re...  Read Full »

What could the pain in my scrotum in the spermatic cord region be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old male with a weight of 58 kg and my height is 5 feet 3 inches. I have been married for six years. I have two children. I had yellowish like liquid discharge from my penis a year ago with burning while urinating. I consulted a urologist and he prescribed me Norflox 40...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now