Q. I had protected sex last month, and my period is 14 days late. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My last period was 44 days back. My menstrual cycle is roughly 30 days, but I had protected sex last month. My period is already 14 days late. I have done two home pregnancy tests (around 37th day), and both were negative. I do have slight abdominal cramps. I have been having frequent headaches and nausea. No other symptoms were seen. Could I be pregnant? Or what else could be the problem?

#

If you have protected sex, how could you be pregnant? Moreover, the urine tests are negative, which tells about your nonpregnant status. Are you stressed or anxious? Yes, this might be a reason for the delayed cycle. There are 100 other causes of a delayed cycle apart from pregnancy like overwork, change of place, overt dieting, and excessive exercise. So, just relax and wait for your cycle. It may be late, but I hope it will commence soon within a few days.

Thank you, doctor.

And yes, I am pretty stressed out right now. Have my exams going on. I am hoping for my period to come soon. Thanks a lot.

#

Yes, do not worry and keep your self stressfree as emotional disbalance affects the cycle.

|