Q. Is it difficult to conceive with hormonal imbalance?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I was diagnosed with PCOS and my insulin and prolactin levels are 30.9 and 60 respectively. My doctor put me on Glucophage and Prolactin for these before two months. I got my periods on the same month. But, until now no signs of periods. I have mild thigh pain, heaviness in my stomach, light stomach pain and bloating. My doctor told me that if I do not get my periods in the next five days, then she will go for a pregnancy test. I am really scared of thinking about my pregnancy with these hormonal imbalances. Is my imbalance too high that it will take time to conceive or to make my periods normal? 

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Your insulin and prolactin levels are high and you have been rightly started on Glucophage (Metformin) and a dopamine agonist.
  • This will help bring down the levels over the next two to three weeks and shall help balance your hormones.
  • If the menses are missing for more than eight days, it is better to rule out pregnancy. If it is negative, then you can be offered a withdrawal bleed with progesterones for menses.
  • Also, you need to maintain a menstrual calendar for at least next three cycles.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »