Q. Menstrual period delayed for 45 days now. Pregnancy test came negative. What could it be?

Dr. Sabita Laskar
Published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

Dear Doctor,

I have not get periods since 45 days. Normally I have a problem of delayed periods. Pregnancy test came negative.

Can you please advise?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you are having delayed period, there could be lots of reasons for it.

• First on the list is pregnancy, which you have ruled out already.
  • Second cause could be PCOD which gives rise to multiple tiny cysts in your ovaries with failure in ovulation thereby leading to no menstruation.
  • Third cause is hormonal imbalance or thyroid related issues.

So I would suggest you to check your thyroid and prolactin staus and also get a TVS done to see the condition of your ovaries.For bringing out your periods you can try Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10mg daily for 5 days.

However, it will not cure your primary cause. You must find out the primary cause to get permanent relief. Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, who in the last six months began to experience thyroid symptoms. I am in the process of looking for a new physician, but I live in a very remote area with a significant shortage of medical professionals, so I am in a lot of ways on my own here. My mother had h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks a lot for such a detailed history, it makes my job easier. I would want to know what was the result of the biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). Based on that, I shall be in a better position to tell you the next step. Your thyroid is functioning to i...  Read Full

Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

Article Overview: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Abdominal Pain: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting 40-70% of women in the reproductive age group. In medical terms we call this as dysmenorrhoea. This is associated with significant psychological, physical, behavioral and social distress. Usually it starts at the onset...  Read Article

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that PCOD is not diagnosed by ultrasound.Kindly get thyroid profile, serum androsterone test, serum prolactin, serum testosterone, free androgen index, serum insulin, and fasting blood sugar test done.Start doing six sets of Surya Namaskar every day.Follow ...  Read Full