Q. My period is delayed with stomach bloating after an emergency contraceptive pill. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Lorena Zijaj

I am a 26-year-old female. I had unprotected sex with my partner. I immediately took emergency contraceptive pills within three hours of unprotected sex, and 10 days later, I had a period like bleeding, which lasted for five to seven days. I have a period cycle of 30 days. Sometimes earlier and sometimes a few days late. Last month my period came one or two days later than the expected date and lasted for three days, and for this month, I was expecting it yesterday, but I still did not have my period. But I can feel stomach bloating and slight cramps. I do have the white discharge, and one time I saw a tiny drop of blood along with it. I have also been under a lot of stress worrying about whether I got pregnant or not. Please help.

#

The irregular bleeding is caused by a high dose of progesterone in emergency pills. So the fact that you experience bleeding ten days after pills shows that pills have worked. You may experience a delay in period this month.

So there are no possibilities of me being pregnant. Also, please tell me what the difference between period bleeding and pregnancy bleeding is.

#

Based on what you have prescribed, I think you are not pregnant.

The menstrual bleeding is red and a larger amount. Implantation bleeding is like dark vaginal discharge like spots, and it is in a small amount. It happens after five weeks of gestation.

Does the implantation bleeding happen only once or every once a month during the whole pregnancy period?

#

It happens only in the early weeks of gestation until eight weeks.

|