Q. My period is irregular as I skipped placebo pills before a month. Kindly advice.

Dr. Alison A. Rodriguez
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I usually would get my period on placebo pills on the third day, and I skipped my period by not taking placebo pills for a couple of months. I started to take them again and had my period last month, and this month I am on the third day, but it has not come. Could my body just be changing? Is it normal to get my period farther into the placebo pills?

Do you have a question on Delayed Period or Menstrual Irregularity?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Alison A. Rodriguez

DOCTOR OF MEDICINE., RESIDENCY IN OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

Yes, what you are experiencing is very common, especially if you have been on the pills for a while. The birth control pill will actually thin the lining of the uterus over time, and many women barely have any bleeding during the placebo week, we sometimes call these pill periods as it is often just some very light spotting or brown discharge.

It is ok if you do not have bleeding during the placebo week, as long as you have been taking your pills every day and you are sure you are not pregnant.

Also Read Answers From: Delayed Period Menstrual Irregularity

Missed or delayed periods after taking I-Pill? Is it due to pregnancy or amenorrhea?
Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend and she took I-pill within two hours. She had bleeding for three to six days after having sex and she missed her periods till now.I have heard about the disease amenorrhea, it might also be the side effect of I-pill in some cases. Is this a pregnan...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Amenorrhea is not a disease. Amenorrhea is simply absence of the menstrual cycle. A lot of females have missed periods for one or two cycles after taking I-pill and this is normal. In most cases cycle resumes after one or two missed periods. So, no need to worry. Within o...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take oral contraceptive pill?
Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had irregular periods and USG pelvis showed PCOD. So, she is taking COCP. In spite of taking the drug properly, she missed her period this month. Is anything wrong with her? What to do now? Does she need to continue the drug? Or should she stop it? I heard that COCP may caus...  Read Full »
Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP) is absolutely safe for her. It does not cause cancer (low dose COCP). Just check the content of COCP which she is taking. If dose of Estrogen (Ethinyl estradiol) is 20 or 30 mcg, she can safely continue the medicine. In fact, COCP...  Read Full »

Could delayed periods be a sign of early onset of menopause?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been regular with your menses these years and this is the first episode at 53 years of age when the menses have been delayed by two weeks, the causes can be a possible initiation of perimenopausal stage where menses are often delayed for a month or two an...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now