Q. Why is my period late?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2020

I am 33 years. I had emergency contraceptive pill last month and got my periods 39 days back for four days duration. But, this month still did not get my periods as expected. We had sex, but there was no ejaculation or precum discharge. So, we decided not to take any pill. Now, I have been feeling a little cramp like feeling in my lower abdomen as I feel during periods, but only water-like white discharge as in ovulation time coming out. Why is my periods late?

#

• You have taken an emergency pill three months back and there was period last month. You had sexual exposures in the end of last month.
  • Now, probability is, it could be due to the effect of the emergency pill. Being itself a hormone in high dosage, it could bring a havoc change in your body's hormonal balance. Thus, following an I-pill intake, you may face spotting as well as delayed cycle.
  • This problem might last for one or two cycles. This could be the reason your scheduled cycle is delayed.
  • Still, I suggest you to do a pregnancy testing as in very few cases; the I-pill may fail. But, I repeat that the chance is very remote.
  • Lastly, anxiety or stress might cause a delayed cycle. So, if you are stressed, that also could have an additive effect over the action of I-pill.

I-pill effect.

Urine for pregnancy testing.

Missing period following taking emergency pill.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online ---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I am attaching my blood beta-hCG test report here. Kindly suggest what it means. How will I have my periods? I have not got my periods yet. I had my last period after one week delay before 45 days back. I had antibiotics Norflox TZ for five days last month. Could it cause delay in periods?

#

You are really tensed as I can see. Just relax as you are not pregnant.

• The beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) levels (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are also corroborating my opinion as it is below normal. If you are pregnant, by this time it should have reached few thousands.
  • You will have your period. Be patient. As this is due to the effect of the I-pill, nobody can tell you when you will have periods. But, obviously within next one month.
  • Another point I must share with you is if you remain anxious or stressed, this will cause a delay in commencing your next cycle more and more.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I had emergency contraceptive pill before two months. Had unprotected intercourse which we both confirm was safe because no ejaculation occurred. Got blood beta-hCG test after a week and you negated any pregnancy on the basis of the count. Should we get one more test done? If the test is not required then what should I do for my delayed periods?

#

• Yes, you need to retest it though you are sure there was no ejaculation inside.
  • Have your partner used condom? Then it is fine provided there was no tear or slip. You need not to do it and need not be tensed also.
  • But if not, it was a withdrawal method only and you are at risk. I think you are aware of the fact that the precum often contains sperms and there are lots of incidences of failure in withdrawal technique.
  • You can do either a pregnancy testing next month or a serum beta-hCG test.
  • Hopefully, my assumption is, you will have your cycle in the meantime as you are having some discharges and pain. Thus, there will be no need of doing these tests at all.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Shall I take any period inducing medicine? Which one would you suggest? If pregnancy detected by then, what should we do if we do not want it for now? Your advice will be very helpful for both of us. Thanks.

#

• At present, you can use period inducing agents. As these are progesterone tablets, the effect will be evident only after 10 days.
  • Just start Deviry - Medroxyprogesterone 10 mg twice a day for 5 days. But, do not expect to have it within few days. You have to wait for 7 to 10 days.
  • Pregnancy is a remote possibility. If you have it accidentally then there is also option which I will discuss you when needed.

|