Q. My 3-year-old son speaks only few words. Is this due to stubborn nature against his younger brother?

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

My oldest son is 3 years old. He understands everything you say to him, but he refuses to talk. He used to say a variety of words and now he only does animal noises and a handful of words. I would like to know what I could do in order to encourage his vocabulary or if I should be worried about it in the first place. I am also wondering if his decreased vocabulary and stubborn behavior are linked to the arrival of his baby brother a year ago. I am currently trying the apps Speech blubs and ABC mouse. He also likes puzzles and games, but he will not sit for the songs or story telling. Any advice would be appreciated.

#

It seems like a regression of speech is there with normal receptive skills and affected expressive skills. Rather than finding the cause now focus on how to improve the condition. Apps are good but not in the initial stage.

Start with some interesting real-life activities to extract some simple utterances first. Do not give anything without his utterances, even if minimal it should be there.

Pa ..paa..paa in a musical manner like other phonemes also start extracting. He will surely enjoy. From this go to combining like paa paaa paaa/ taaa taa taaa /tooo toooo tooo. Then potato, then tell see we will cut potato. Cut the real potato and show him.

Get a video consultation with me if you want to get the demonstration for a better understanding. Implement these techniques and give feedback on this.

Thanks.

| 

Autism: Seeing the World from a Different Angle

Article Overview: Autism affects many children, making them unable to have a good academic career. Still, there are many legends who turned their wounds into wisdom. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

What Is Autism? Autism is a group of similar conditions that affects communication, interaction, behavior, language skills, and development. It is now referred to as autism spectrum disorder due to the broad range of symptoms and variations in its severity. That is, it may be so mild that the child...  Read Article

Is dental treatment required for all cleft palate surgeries?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »

Apart from surgery, how can spasmodic dysphonia be treated?

Query: Hi doctor, Few years ago, I had spasmodic dysphonia. My voice was husky and high pitched. I took medicines and speech therapy. There was slight improvement in my voice but after that my voice is high pitched. I want deeper voice that is manly voice. What should I do? Is there any way to get deeper ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Speech Therapist Now