Q. My gums bleed with pain after bleaching my tooth. What to do?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
I got my teeth bleached and have had pain in my gums and teeth for a long time now. The gums were bleached and they were bleeding for a while. It feels like my gum or teeth ( bottom 4 ) are throbbing all day.
#

hello such pain happens only when then the bleaching agent i.e. concentrated hydrogen peroxide or other chemicals come in direct contact with soft tissues. it shoudl resolve usually in 24 hours to 48 hours. use warm salt water gargle twice a day. apply an oral anaesthetic gel all over the gums to get relief. do not touch the gums at all. did you use home bleaching product or a dentist did it? when did you have the procedure? how many hours or days have passed?

Hello , thank you for your answer. My dentist bleached My teeth Four months ago so i have been struggling a Long Time. I uploaded a picture of My Gums. My teeth hurt Too but nothing is on the xray.
#

hello usually there should not be any discomfort for so long time. there might have been tremendous leakage of bleaching agent onto the gums and roots of teeth causing such pain. if still you have so much pain which started after the bleaching then, unfortunately there may be some damage to the roots of concerned teeth and may require Root canal treatment in future. it takes time to show in xray, only when abscess is formed below it after complete decay of nerves inside the roots. ask your dentist to do pulp vitality tests of front teeth and then go for Root canal treatment if required. four months and still pain means some nerves of teeth are indeed damaged. do you have any history of fall etc. in past or have you put braces before

Hello

Thank you again. Yes i have had a Vitality Test done and one one Canine tooth( Lower left one ) i didnt feel anything and on the other teeth it hurt and was super cold. He Said nothing on xray and Maybe the one Tooth That didnt feel Anything had a Bad day. But he also Said he doesnt know what To do. Oh and no history of Fall but yes i have had Braces and have a permanent retainer on Lower teeth.

#

the tooth you didnt feel anything may have non vital nerves inside and may be decaying inside creating pressure and usually results in abscess formation in due time. you can either ask a second opinion and then directly go for Root canal treatment of the concerned tooth or wait till the pain is more specific to the tooth and shows radiolucency in the xrays. is the pain constant all the time or increases when you eat or drink any hot items or cold? does the pain increase at night time when laying done.

Thank you. Yes the Pain is consistent. It feels like the nerves are twitching and the left Tooth Next To the Canine tooth is the one that twitches the most. At Night Time Laying down is when the Pain increases.
#

hello then you should point this tooth to the dentist and get Root canal treatment done as it is highly unlikely that the pain will reduce after so long duration i.e. 4 months. Root canal treatment should give instant relief usually. first treat the tooth which has much pain. then wait and see if for any other tooth also you feel discomfort

Thank you very much for your time. I will make an appointment tomorrow.
Have a good day!
# you are welcome.

|