HomeAnswersDentistrydental cariesI have an infected tooth with pus. What do I do?

I have an infected tooth with pus. What do I do?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 20, 2018
Reviewed AtDecember 19, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have severe pain in my lower tooth on the right side. It never stops until I take a painkiller. Also, the effect of the painkillers I take only last a few hours. I guess I have an infected tooth, as there is pus. Now the right side of my jaw and the area under it started hurting. I am taking Ultracet or Tramadol for pain and Augmentin for infection. What is the problem and what do I do?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

With all the signs and symptoms you experience, it is definitely an infected tooth. It seems like a deep tooth decay. Painkillers and antibiotics do help for a toothache with infection. As you said, it is the nature of the painkillers to last only for few hours and that is why it has to be taken every four or six hours depending on the dosage. These medications will not completely cure the tooth problem unless an active dental treatment is done. Hence I advice you to visit a dentist and get it sorted immediately. Depending on the depth of the tooth decay, it could be treated with a simple root canal treatment. Please do not self-medicate Augmentin. It is not to be taken for long, not more than five days. And with the painkillers, do not take multiple brand tablets. I suggest you continue tablet Ultracet (Tramadol) thrice daily after meal for three days. Gargling with warm salt water after every meal also will give a temporary relief.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Geethanjali. S. S
Dr. Geethanjali. S. S


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

dental cariestooth pain

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy